Friday, September 9, 2011

Meet Cute: A Man and Woman Walk into a Bar....

When I ask couples how they met, most have stories about meeting through a friend or high school/university.  There is one story, one of chance and fate, that stuck out to me when I heard it a few years ago.  My friend Beth agreed to let me share it with you, so please enjoy the simple beauty of chance.

I have been writing and writing drafts of their wonderful meet cute, and you know what? I'm no good at writing this story because Beth wrote it better. : ) So here are her words about how she met her boyfriend:


I used to complain to my mom that I wanted a boyfriend in college and she would say, "you're not ready yet" and I would get mad and say, "Yes I am!"  Then after being out of school for a few years, I was visiting my parent's house and I said to her, "Mom.  I am really ready now.  I am lonely and I wish I had a boyfriend to share my life with."  The next night I met Joe.  Does that make him less of a soul mate?  I don't think so.  I think God gives us what we can handle and he heard my request and let me 'see' Joe for the first time.  I say it like that because once I got to know Joe, we had a lot of things and people in common and I can see how we may have met in the past and maybe in the future if I didn't run into him at a bar one night.  His best friend, Mark, is the son of friends of my parents and I knew who Mark was from family parties throughout the years.  Another good friend of Joe's went to the school my mom taught at and was mentored by my mother and had heard of me through my mom.  His friend Mark was in a battle of the bands during high school at my mom's school (Brebeuf) and Joe attended that battle of the bands and so did I.  I dated an acquaintance of Joe's.  Most of his friends knew or had my mother as a teacher in school.  His brother was friends with a lot of guys who went to my high school and it was highly likely Joe and I would have ended up at the same party one day.

Aside from all of these connections, Joe and I met completely by chance.  I was at a bar in Broadripple with some friends when I spun around quickly and literally ran into him.  I, of course, jokingly blamed him and since 'he' spilled my drink 'made' him buy me a new one.  We talked a long time in that same spot at the dive-y bar Connors while I was a little tipsy, to say the least, and he was not.  I didn't want to tell him I was an architect because in past experience, that seemed to make guys in bars run away from me...intimidating, I guess?  But finally, he coaxed it out of me and he said, "Really? That is the coolest job!  I wanted to be an architect!"  Eventually he had to leave so we made sure to exchange numbers and he promised he would call me the next day...to which I said, "Yeah right."  As I was falling asleep that night in my alcohol induced haze, I prayed to God that Joe would call me the next day.

4:00pm the next day, my phone rang.  We made plans for dinner later that week.  Up until the first date, I admit I was a little distant and I honestly thought, "Well, every date is a good experience."  It was after the first date that I fell head over heels.  Every thing we talked about during that dinner made me think, "Wow...really? We are so compatible!"  When he was asking me about my career in architecture, I said, "Well, I think my grandfathers both helped influence my decision to be an architect.  One was a structural engineer and the other was the President of John Hancock Life Insurance in Boston and I just fell in love with the Hancock Tower and visiting him at his office in the summers.  I used to think he owned that skyscraper."  And Joe said, "That's a great building.  Because of that building, they invented the mass damper system."  My jaw dropped to the floor.  I had done many reports on that tower and not many people knew that fact about the skyscraper and here was this cute guy sitting across from me, not bull shitting me and actually knowing things about my passions!  The whole dinner was like that.  One of us would talk about something and the other would say, "Oh yeah.  And ..."  When he dropped me off at my apartment after dinner, he gave me a small kiss on my lips and I closed the door, sat down, and just said, "Wow."  I swear I could feel that kiss the next day.

My parents came to pick me up early the next morning as we were all heading to the airport for a family reunion in Florida.  In the car ride on the way to the airport my mom asked me how my date went and I told her.  She asked me what I liked about Joe and I had a long list and then she asked me what I didn't like (cause I always had an answer for that in the past) and I couldn't think of anything!  When I didn't answer, my mom turned around, looked at me, and then looked to my dad who was driving and said, "Uh-oh, we're in trouble!"  And the rest, as they say, is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment