Monday, June 20, 2011

Where Imagination Becomes an Obstacle

I eagerly check PostSecret every Saturday evening/Sunday morning to read secrets that Frank Warren selected for the week.  If you have not discovered the beauty of PostSecret, please check it out right this instant.

On particular Sunday that was at least a year ago, I read this secret and I needed to catch a breath because it stopped me in my tracks and tugged on something deep inside.

What is it about this secret that hits right at my core?  What do you think about this secret?

It is really hard to give up the imaginations that I have built up from when I was running around in a princess dress at age 4 to now, when I still wear dresses but they are less pink and sparkly.  I have daydreamed and wondered about the person that I would spend the rest of my life with.  I know that I am not alone in this.  Even though we do not like admitting it, but we all have fantasies about finding the person that you can share a life with, whoever you imagine or whatever traits you want them to have.

When did this imagination and fantasy become something that keeps us from being able to let our imaginations go in order to love and accept a real person?

This imaginary perfect person is not something tangible or even something that can be found, yet we find ourselves feeling the lingering of that imaginary person.  Why does this imaginary person cast a shadow?

This brings my thoughts once again back to the idea of commitment and a decision to love the real person, right in front of us. With that idea, I have another picture:

Want to share your story of love or about the imaginary person in your head? Comment on here or email me at loudharmony58@gmail.com.

2 comments:

  1. KAITLIN! AIEEE! How is it the you manage to always speak so candidly, right to the thoughts that I also so often have! I love this post and this secret and the idea of loving someone not just at the beginning throughout and until the end. In fact, I've been thinking about loving a real person, and letting go of your fantasies, and how much our media has influenced us to idealize love and that "perfect" person. What makes someone perfect, I think, is not how "perfect" they are by any objective societal measurement, but by how "perfect" they are for you, and how well that the two of you can mesh together. Have you seen the movies Auberge Espagnol and Russian Dolls?! By the way, if you haven't, you must! Russian Dolls speaks to this very idea of searching for perfection, and being blinded to the perfect person standing right in front of you. Whew, I could go on about this forever, but I'll save that for when we talk in person. LOVE YOU WIFEY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kaitlin,
    I have never read your blog before, but I am glad that now I have!
    This is a lovely post, you are smart!
    It is also a very important thought. It is easy to look over what we have and dismiss it with the thought that there is something better/more out there for us to have. That this can't possibly be it, whereas it just might be, if we open our eyes and let it. It is so easy to do that, its much harder to be vulnerable and imperfect (which would probably turn out to be our perfect).
    You are so smart, I am happy my sister has SUCH smart friends!!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete